Each year, SCORE mentors touch thousands of lives, generously sharing their knowledge and experience so that entrepreneurs can realize their dreams of business success. If you want to share your business expertise, give back to your community, gain satisfaction from seeing others succeed and connect with like-minded people, consider volunteering with SCORE.
Nationwide 11,000 men and women in SCORE offices donate their time and talent to assist America's entrepreneurs. At SCORE Orange County, volunteers provide confidential business mentoring, workshops, and many other services. In addition, many mentors are virtual volunteers, providing online mentoring directly from their homes or offices.
Mentors come from a variety of occupations and backgrounds. Many volunteer mentors owned small businesses for years while others have worked for Fortune 500 firms. Experience has shown that small business owners are more likely to succeed if they have a business mentor to guide them.
No fees or dues are required to belong to Orange County SCORE.
Make SCORE Your First Choice in Volunteerism.
Will SCORE be the right volunteer organization for you?
The ideal candidate will have:
- Several years of business experience or a very specialized skill that is needed by our small business clients
- A flexible schedule to allow 20 hours of volunteer time per month
- Excellent listening skills
- Free confidential mentoring at offices throughout Orange County
- Free and fee-based workshops at approximately 20 sites throughout Orange County
- Advisory Board, a panel of mentors for existing businesses
- CEO Forum, groups of business owner peers who meet monthly to set goals and problem-solve
- Speakers Bureau, mentors who share their expertise and knowledge of SCORE services with organizations
- Monthly Newsletter, an electronic communication filled with articles for entrepreneurs
- Email mentoring, a program developed to respond to clients electronically
- Women-In-Business Breakfasts, bi-monthly opportunities for participants to network and hear fascinating speakers
- College/University Student Mentoring, a program to coach student entrepreneurs
- Women Business Owners Conference, an annual event drawing over 400 women entrepreneurs
Who are our SCORE clients?
A high percentage of our clients have a business idea but have never started a business. They need help in defining the concept, writing a business plan, obtaining funding, designing their marketing, and getting started. Most of our clients have fewer than 5 employees.
What Does a SCORE Volunteer Give?
- Enthusiasm, vitality, intelligence!
- SCORE volunteers are required to give approximately 20 hours of service each month.
- SCORE volunteers have the option to mentor clients, present workshops, manage client scheduling, email mentor, participate in Advisory Board and CEO Forum activities, and join a committee.
- SCORE volunteers are required to participate in a non-mentoring role that supports the organization.
What if you are still working?
Can you continue to work and still be a SCORE volunteer? Yes, but only if you have a schedule that is flexible enough to allow you to give the required time to SCORE each month.
What if you have a SCORE client who needs your professional services?
- SCORE members are not allowed to make money in any way from SCORE clients or other SCORE members.
- You will sign a Code of Ethics and Conduct affirming this annually.
- No one may use our client or member database for any commercial reason.
Are You a Match with SCORE?
- Are your business and computer skills current?
- Can you impart your knowledge to our pre-business and small business clients?
- Are you willing to pitch in wherever you’re needed?
- Can you give the required time?
- Are you an excellent listener?
If your answer is YES…Wonderful!
Following your acceptance, you will go through a very valuable 3-month provisional period, during which time you will work with a coach and receive orientation and instruction.
Here’s how it works:
- Step One - Application - Please fill out the application at bottom of page.
- Step Two - Telephone Interview - You will be interviewed by a member of our Membership Committee to determine if our goals and yours seem to be a potential match. If we mutually decide that SCORE might be right for you, you’ll be invited to attend a member meeting, held on the third Wednesday of the month.
- Step Three - Meeting and Lunch - You will be invited to attend a SCORE chapter meeting, after which you will meet over lunch with members of our Membership Committee. Within a few days after the lunch meeting, you will be notified by the Chair of the Membership Committee regarding your acceptance. If you are accepted, you will be assigned a coach to help you learn how we schedule our time, mentor our clients, and work together as a group.
- Step Four - Orientation
- You will attend at least 3 of our business workshops.
- You will join us at our regular monthly member meetings.
- You will observe five mentoring sessions.
- You will complete the SCORE national online training programs.
- You will commit to at least one non-mentoring role that supports the organization.
- If you successfully complete the orientation program, you will be offered Full Membership!
Get started and fill out the application below: